The Beatles Isolated Vocal Tracks: Abbey Road Medley

The Abbey Road Medley, one of the greatest musical pieces ever put together. Fantastic, sublime, exceptional, mind blowing, stunning: all words that can be used to describe it. Never before or since has another band done something so extraordinary as what The Beatles did on Abbey Road but it just got a whole lot better with this isolated vocal track from the entire Medley.

With the music stripped away you’re able to hear the power of the vocals in their raw and isolated state but also backing vocals and double tracked vocals as well. In some cases you can hear Paul or John talk between verses or sentences which are completely inaudible in the final studio version. This is one of those isolated tracks that just needs to be heard:

LISTEN (updated link): https://ok.ru/video/2939160046

It’s sometimes difficult to wrap your mind around how great The Beatles were not only as musicians and songwriters but as singers too. It’s one of those things you can listen to over and over, and just like their music, pick up on things you might not have heard the first time. Enjoy.

Advertisements

43 thoughts on “The Beatles Isolated Vocal Tracks: Abbey Road Medley

1. Michael Comperchio says:

I grew up in Britain in the 60’s when my mother used to ‘party’ to these guys… I remember watching them on the Top of the Pops… they are the Best. Period.

2. Bryan B says:

This a really good. Rock music is not even my usual flavor, more into r&b, soul, and GOOD hip hop with a message, but you have to respect the Beatles. I always tell people no matter what type of music you listen to, if you don’t like at least a few Beatles and Micheal Jackson songs there is either something wrong with you or you are just lying. Good music is good music.

3. Bob Brown says:

Wow! Unbelievable they didn’t need Autotune! McCartney is meant to have a 4 octave voice one of the greatest rock vocalists ever! If you can , listen to his isolated “Oh Darling” vocal ! They are still untouchable………………..

4. frankie p says:

Tom, thanks for this. I feel that you miss an important point in these posts, namely the importance and influence of George Martin in the Beatles’ studio work. Vocally speaking, George Martin was instrumental (pun intended) in the planning and writing of the harmonies found on this recording. On the Clapton solo, you say that it is one of the few examples of outsiders playing on Beatles songs, which makes me wonder if you’re aware of how much George Martin PLAYED on Beatles tracks, not just produced them. Listen to the piano solo in Lennon’s “In My Life”. Who do you think played that?

5. Helen Mcentire says:

Love it..love it! Their accuracy in hitting the notes and their blend is even more terrific when the voices are isolated. Thank you.

6. TC says:

That just made my day….and its only 8am. I heard these guys could play a note or two and even wrote a couple of little ditties. Seems they can outsing 100% of our current crop of ‘musicians’ too. Unequalled.

7. jana says:

Here again, I am listening in awe to these perfectly harmonious voices that, as one person replied, hasn’t been replicated since. They are truly untouchable. I’m enjoying this thanks to Mike and Jim on Facebook. It does make you happy just listening.

8. nzstrings says:

George Martin was definitely a positive influence on the singing, as listening to the Please Please Me album shows, the three guitarists were already capable of intricate harmonies before they were “discovered”. From experience in the Cavern, listening, in 1961/2/3 their short set of Everly Brothers songs, to which a previously unheard 3rd part had been grafted, I can attest to much of their later subsequent harmony work being attributable to innate musicianship rather than fifth person influence. Not to belittle that influence.

9. Dan Lacksman says:

As always with The Beatles, absolutely amazing ! You can hear and feel their enjoyment of doing those tracks, whatever the hard work, and problems they were having at the time.

10. Mike says:

This is not to throw a wet blanket on anything, but it needs to be pointed out that a LOT of the vocal work heard here is Paul and George only.

Obviously, John is present on “Sun King,” “Mean Mr. Mustard” and “Polythene Pam.” It sounds like he’s singing the low part of the “1-2-3-4-5-6-7” coda on “You Never Give Me Your Money,” but I believe the earlier parts of the song are (in ascending order) George/Paul/Paul. If Paul is singing the melody, that means it’s already in a somewhat higher register, so it follows that if there’s a high harmony above that, Paul must be singing it too — as he does, for example, on the “Didn’t anybody tell her” part of “Bathroom Window” (Cross-reference the three-part harmony bits on “I’ll Be Back,” “In My Life” and “Wait,” where Paul is singing both harmony parts above John’s melody.)

The backing “oooh”‘s on “She Came in Through the Bathroom Window” sound as though John may be involved, but that’s where it ends. We know that John is not present on the massed choruses of “Carry That Weight,” as they were done was he was absent from the studio recovering from a car crash. For the reasons listed above, I don’t believe he’s present on the reprise of the “You Never Give Me Your Money” theme that comes in the middle of “Carry That Weight,” nor is he there for the climactic “And in the end, the love you take….”

Though not a part of the medley, John is also not involved in the vocals of “Here Comes the Sun.” Though there are three parts, that’s strictly George and Paul.

Don’t get me wrong — I LOVE John Lennon’s voice. There is NO rock ‘n’ roll singer in history whose voice I find more affecting than his. And when all three of them blended together (from “This Boy” through “Yes It Is” through “Because” and so much more), it was absolutely magical. His absence doesn’t make the harmonies heard here any less magical…if anything, it makes them all the more remarkable. But we should be realistic in assessing them.

• Joe Cogan says:

Regarding the harmonies on “Carry That Weight/The End”, it sounds to my ears like Paul harmonizing with himself on both “I never give you my pillow…” and “And in the end…”. Just my two cents.