Layla Isolated Guitar/Vocals & Separate Backing Track

Layla as you’ve never heard it before. What you have here are just the vocals and lead guitar parts, including Eric’s initial intro riff, Duane’s riff and various solo sections throughout including those from the coda. Take a listen:

The most surprising thing when listening to this, is the extent of the acoustic guitar playing during the coda. When you listen to the full song you’re either listening to the piano or the slide guitar part, you tend to overlook the acoustic guitar. But here it is (4:49), and it’s breathtakingly beautiful. It almost sounds like a completely different song.

We also have another track which is just the backing track, which has everything in there apart from the lead vocals and lead guitar focused on in the first video. There are a number of things that stand out when you listen to this, first being a count in by Jim on drums but notably Carl Radle’s exquisite bass playing. You can of course here it in the full version but without the vocals and lead guitar it becomes a major part of what you’re listening to. The same goes with Bobby’s organ which you can hear clearly during the verse sections in the left speaker.

Listening to things like this really adds to the magic of the song. You pick up on things you may not have noticed when listening to the full version, and you’re able to hear certain parts more clearly as with Carl’s bass and Bobby’s organ. I love it.

Advertisements

28 thoughts on “Layla Isolated Guitar/Vocals & Separate Backing Track

1. Larry says:

I was lucky enough to be raised in Jacksonville. I got to see The Allman Brothers Band three times when Duane was alive. When I listened to this just now Duane’s guitar work just blew me away …. again…

Liked by 1 person

2. Howard Stern says:

The story goes the first time Clapton had a chance to hear The Allman Brothers was when he was in Criteria Studios in North Miami and he heard they were playing a free show on the lawn of Miami Beach Convention Center. I was lucky enough to be there that day and as usual they were spot on. They played many shows in S. Fla. back in the day.

Liked by 1 person

3. Bill says:

Absolutely blown away and the final product turned it into the Masterpiece it is . I love the isolated guitars . It just re-enforces what I’ve already admired so many times over the years. Thank You for sharing this !

Liked by 1 person

4. fred pittman says:

Enjoyed this very much ! Was wondering if you know when Eric saw and met Freddie King for the first time? Hopefully you will talk about meeting blues people plus Duane. Thanks!

Liked by 1 person

5. Roger Flora says:

I was lucky to see Derek and the Dominos in Tampa on Dec 1, 1970. It was an amazing concert to see to legend guitar players dualling it out. I still have my ticket stub and it only cost $4.50.
    The following year I saw the Allman Brothers at USF in Tampa and it only cost $2. Amazing!

Liked by 1 person

6. John Noell says:

I was with Roger at the USF show the sound was the best they were using an acoustic experimental tiles on walls of gym that night, the Allman brothers band played 4 1/2 hours I have seen hundreds of concerts that one is still number one

7. george gilkenson says:

Saw the Allman Bros. before duane died.. It was in the old RFK stadium in DC (the show was called “The Berlin Airlift”.. Grand Funk was the headliner).. The Allmans blew the place away..

8. Ralph says:

I started to Mercer University in Macon, GA., in 1969. Fall of that year I heard a group was giving a free concert in the school chapel. About 30 of us went to hear some new band Phil Walden just signed at Capricorn. It was the Allman Brothers. They were amazing. Shortly thereafter they did the Filmore album and took off. We used to see them around Macon quite often, would drink beer with them in places like Grant’s Lounge, La Carousel, etc. Have seen them many times over the years and have never been disappointed.

Liked by 1 person

9. bcorig says:

Very appropriate. Many of the notes I hear I have heard listening to various media, vinyl (literally wore two out) the 20th Anniversary CD, which is not a great reproduction and, most recently, the 40th Anniversary Digital which is the closest to the Vinyl (except they leave out the Whooo! at the end of the first Intro of Keep on Growing).
    I’ve been trying to integrate the 1st and 3rd Guitar Parts of the Intro of Layla into one part.
    You reveal that the CODA, which is simple enough, utilizes acoustic inversions. I’ve been playing the straight chords – gonna get on that right now. Never heard the acoustic contribution the extent that you demonstrate. Thank you and Bravo!
    I’ve listened to the entire album to the extent that I can whistle the lead guitar breaks (except, Why Does Love Have To Be So Bad – who can?). It’s Too Late is my favorite. Drives co-workers to distraction.
    Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs is the best Album ever produced, in my estimation. I have never tired of listening to it, since I got my first copy in the Winter of 1971. Whenever I listen to Layla, I marvel at the mixing and the production.
    Oh, and P.S. Jim Gordon was a genius.